Job Description and Responsibilities
Job Title: Financial Controller
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Range: $105,000.00 - $125,000.00
Position Description Summary:
The Financial Controller is a Director level position that has full management responsibility for the accounting function of the company, to include the production of standard financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles. The financial controller is also responsible for ensuring the routine execution of invoicing, payroll, cash management and, to some extent, risk management. This position manages resources to execute project work in the best interest of the client. Delegates and explains work to junior staff. The Director coordinates all work regarding finance specific responsibilities and makes decisions within the scope of those responsibilities.
Essential Function(s) of the Position:
The essential functions described here are representative of those that an employee must be able to accomplish in order to successfully perform this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Understand and oversee/direct routine financial functions (payroll, invoicing, expense reports, 401(k), month close, bank reconciliation, monthly reporting, A/R, A/P, line-of-credit/cash management).
· Ensure that bank reconciliations are completed in a timely manner each month.
· Review accounting system and provide training/guidance on completing expense report coding/review and update expense report process.
· Oversee the maintenance of an orderly accounting filing system.
· Issue timely and complete financial information.
· Support the CFO in establishing benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
· Manage billability and productivity reporting.
· Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
· Review company P&L results monthly with COO and ensure accurate revenue and expense coding.
· Produce monthly financial reports and forecast projections.
· Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
· Provide financial analyses as needed, for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
· Coordinate the annual preparation of the compiled financial statement and corporate report.
· Support the preparation of FAR Part 31 overhead rate.
· Maintain the chart of accounts.
· Coordinate with the firm’s outsources functions (accounting, payroll) to maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures, bill payment and payroll execution.
· Coordinate with the firm’s CFO and owner’s to understand and produce standard monthly financial reports related to the performance of the company.
· Coordinate with the firm’s Executive Management Team to understand and produce detailed project and Practice Area financial reports on a routine basis.
· Oversee the accounting operations of the firm’s subsidiary corporations, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures.
· Manage cash flow utilizing the firm’s LOC and recommend efficient strategies to minimize cost.
· Establish and maintain an annual budget and forecast and provide quarterly updates and a mid-year adjustment.
· Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
· Understand how the monthly reports are organized and why and offer suggestions to focus in on targets and metrics that are critical to our growth and success.
· Help the Vice Presidents understand how and why to review their monthly reports.
· Understand how the company is organized and how the finances (QuickBooks) are organized to align and support the company.
· Continually monitor, evaluate, recommend, and implement new or improved technology solutions that will enhance efficiency, security, and effectiveness in the accounting, billing, and treasury aspects of the business.
· Coordinate the provision of financial information to accountants for year-end compiled financial reports.
· Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
· Provide monthly financial information and certifications to bank for loan compliance.
· Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
Education and Experience:
Ideal candidate should have a Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, accounting or business administration and 10+ years of increasing responsibility in finance or similar field. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Possess a thorough understanding of the processes and project requirements.
• Action oriented; able to drive and achieve results.
• Interpersonal savvy; Ability to make and maintain relationships both with clients and J|D team members.
• Able to manage and measure outcomes; a leader who is able to effectively manage assigned projects and communicate progress to management as well as the client.
• Efficient planning and project management ability.
• Written Communications; Able to effectively communicate with team members and management.
• Client Focus; Understands client needs and how to deliver desired objectives.
• Expert in the functional/technical skills needed for this position.
• Above average presentation skills.
• A high level of integrity with the ability to invoke the trust of the client.
• Above average time management skills.
• Able to travel up to 50%.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee must be able to accomplish in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit for long periods of time, bend, use hands to manipulate (type), talk and hear; walk; sit, and lift or move no more than ten (10) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral visions, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this position, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information, and documents; analyze and solve problems, use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; work under deadlines with occasional interruptions, and interact with staff and other organizations.
Will work primarily in an office environment. May be required to travel occasionally as needed to company subsidiaries and satellite/client offices to conduct due diligence. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.
Owners and CFO
Will supervise at least one financial analyst and one or more support staff initially and supervisory responsibilities are expected to increase as the company grows.
This position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. This is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed by an employee so classified. This document is not intended to be a contract between the employee and the employer.