Junior GIS Analyst
Job Description and Responsibilities
Job Title: Junior GIS Analyst
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: $48,000 - $65,000
Position Description Summary:
Jacobsen|Daniels is seeking a junior analyst with strong GIS and data processing skills to work on a range of projects across the country. Candidates should be self-motivated critical thinkers and have the capacity to work creatively within a fast paced environment. Successful candidates will be capable of working individually and in team environments. Strong oral communication skills, including the capability to understand and follow oral and written communication is also required.
Essential Function(s) of the Position:
The duties listed below are the specific duties and tasks that someone in this position must accomplish (i.e. why the job exists.) These are the core responsibilities of the position that cannot be modified or eliminated. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the level and/or class of this position.
· Conduct and document project research.
· Develop, maintain and update data layers and databases.
· QA/QC internal and outside data sources.
· Analyze data and present results using Excel and GIS to support a variety of concepts.
· Prepare maps in ArcGIS under the direction of a project manager (ALPs, report or planning exhibits).
· Prepare planning assignments applying FAA design guidelines and regulations.
· Write and format draft technical memos and reports.
· Support administrative tasks such as invoicing, project management and document control.
· Represents the firm in an appropriate manner at all times. Demonstrates sound judgement and decision making when interacting with clients.
· Performs specialized tasks as required, in the area of expertise, with minimal supervision and within acceptable time frames, and at highest quality level.
· Performs other tasks with direction, outside of area of technical expertise.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in a field that provides a strong foundation for aviation consulting such as GIS, Geography, Engineering, Architecture, Planning or Aviation Management. Must have excellent analytical, verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skill. Expertise in Microsoft Excel is highly preferred. Preference given to candidates with 1-3 years of experience with ArcMap (GIS). Experience with AutoDesk CAD Software Suite a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Ability to visualize source data and the final product.
· Knowledgeable about ArcGIS web based applications - APIs.
· Above average presentation skills.
· Excellent computer skills; thorough understanding of Microsoft Office suite.
· Understand how to identify patterns in spatial data graphically articulate those patterns in GIS.
· Ability to work within a structured environment with set expectations.
· Ability to complete assigned tasks without deviation from established approvals.
· Ability to come up with creative ways to complete assigned tasks within established guidelines and supervisor approval.
· Ability to learn new skills and abilities through on the job training
· Attention to detail with respect to quality standards.
· Ability to interact in group settings, using judgement and discretion, to always represent the firm in the desired manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee must be able to accomplish in order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit for long periods of time, bend, use hands to manipulate (type), talk and hear; walk; sit, and lift or move no more than ten (10) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral visions, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this position, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information, and documents; analyze and solve problems, use math and mathematical reasoning; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; work under deadlines with occasional interruptions, and interact with staff and other organizations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Primarily in an office environment. May be required to travel occasionally as needed to company subsidiaries and satellite/client offices to conduct due diligence. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.
Position reports to Business Unit or Practice Area Leader, or other Senior Management as identified during the hiring or annual review process.